Sunday, May 31, 2020
- Time: 1pm – 5pm
- Location: Online
- Admission: $20 per person, $15 for History Center and St. Andrew’s Society of Pittsburgh members
Join internationally renowned genealogist Paul Milner for the Heinz History Center’s first Scottish Genealogy Workshop.
Featuring live Question and Answer sessions and interactive virtual networking opportunities, this workshop will foster connections between attendees and expert speakers in a time of isolation.
Benefitting beginners and seasoned genealogists alike, this in-depth virtual workshop will examine a multitude of historic records and electronic resources that will advance your Scottish genealogy research.
Live virtual workshop presentations include:
- Finding Your Scottish Ancestors: The Big Five:
- Examine available indexes and learn how to access and interpret the five primary records groups for Scottish research: civil registration, census, church records, probate and land records. These are the primary records you need when searching for anyone from the fifteenth to the twentieth century.
- Finding the Correct Place: Maps and Gazetteers for Scottish Research:
- Learn the important history of map making and see numerous examples of the different types of maps available for genealogical research, many of which are now online. Discover how historic Scottish maps and gazetteers can be used to assist in your Scottish research in finding the correct location.
Explore how to best use civil registration records, censuses, church records, maps, gazetteers, as well as land and probate records to uncover your Scottish ancestors.
Archivists Jenny Barr and Sonia Prescott from the Presbyterian Historical Society in Philadelphia, Pa. will also provide an overview of church records in its holdings that document Scottish Americans in Western Pennsylvania.
Special access to lecture recordings will be made available to attendees following the live workshop.
Representatives from the History Center’s Detre Library & Archives and the St. Andrew’s Society of Pittsburgh will also share insights with workshop attendees.
Registration & Admission
Advanced registration is required.
Admission is $15 for History Center and St. Andrew’s Society of Pittsburgh members and $20 for non-members.
The Scottish Genealogy Workshop will be facilitated using Zoom video conferencing. Phone in options will also be available. Additional technical information and guidance will be provided via email to all who register.
To register, please visit www.heinzhistorycenter.org/events/scottish-genealogy-workshop-2020